Monday, November 5, 2007

Rushoon (courtesy Dark Horse NF & Lab blog)

While the main focus of this blog are the communities from Ship Harbour to Branch (perhaps also Long Harbour and the northern reaches of St. Mary's Bay?), we're always happy to consider Placentia Bay at large. Thus, we were more than happy to receive an email from the maintainer of Dark Horse Newfoundland and Labrador, who has written an informative and enjoyable 'snapshot' of the Placentia Bay community of Rushoon.

First settled around 1830 by a couple of fishermen from England, it gradually grew in size. By 1921 the population was 130, and swelled to 232 by 1945, a good reflection of healthy fish stocks, and source of reliable work.

You can read the whole thing here.

3 comments:

nadinebc said...

I love reading about these areas, as it is where my Grandma's family is from. She passed this year- so keeping in touch with this part of her life is very important to me.

Placentia Blog said...

That's fantastic, Nadine!

I've had a look over your blog, and it's very interesting and well-written. If you'd like, I can add it to our links?

I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope her passing was peaceful and I am sure she would be happy to know you are keeping in touch.

nadinebc said...

Thanks! I will do the same!